About This Station
The station is powered by a Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station. The data is collected every second and the site is updated every 4 seconds. This site and its data is collected using Weather Display Software. The station is comprised of an anemometer, a rain gauge and a thermo/hydro sensor situated in optimal positions for highest accuracy possible. The station is located near the intersection of FM 1863 and SH 46 in New Braunfels.
About This City
New Braunfels (pronounced "Brawnfulls") is a city in Comal and Guadalupe Counties in the U.S. state of Texas that is part of the San Antonio Metropolitan Area. Braunfels means "brown rock" in German; the city is named for Braunfels, in Germany.
New Braunfels was established in 1845 by the German nobleman Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels, Commissioner General of the "Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas", also known as the "Noblemen's Society" (in German: Mainzer Adelsverein). Prince Carl named the city for Braunfels, his hometown in Germany.
The Adelsverein organized hundreds of people in Germany to settle in Texas. Immigrants from Germany began arriving at the Texas coast in December 1844, planning to travel inland to land grants purchased by Prince Carl. At the urging of Ferdinand Lindheimer, botanist and printer, in March 1845, as the German settlers were traveling inland along the Guadalupe River, Prince Carl bought a parcel of land from the Veramendi land grant, northeast of San Antonio. This tract had strong freshwater springs. Settlers began arriving at the site of the future city on March 21, 1845. As Spring 1845 progressed, the settlers built a fort, divided land, and began building homes and planting crops. Soon after founding the city, Prince Carl returned to Germany, leaving John O. Meusebach to capably manage the settlement.
In December 1845, Texas became a state in the United States of America, dashing any hopes the German aristocracy may have had of establishing a German principality within the politically and militarily weak Republic of Texas, and undermining the United States.
A second wave of German immigrants began arriving in 1846, even as the sponsoring Adelsverein teetered on bankruptcy. As hundreds of German immigrants continued arriving at the Texas coast in 1846, three disasters hit the German immigrants. The Mexican-American War broke out between the United States and Mexico, and oxcart teamsters who were contracted to carry the Germans and their belongings inland were diverted to the war effort along the south Texas coast. Additionally, extraordinarily wet weather was making creeks and rivers overflow their banks so that passage inland was extremely difficult. Finally, cholera broke out among the immigrants, and several hundred people died in the outbreak.
Meusebach stabilized the community's finances, and encouraged the settlers to establish additional neighboring communities. The largest of these secondary settlements was to be Fredericksburg, Texas, 80 miles to the northwest of New Braunfels.
New Braunfels thrived, and by 1850, it was the fourth largest city in Texas, with 1,723 people, following only Galveston, San Antonio, and Houston in population. In 1852, the Zeitung newspaper was established, edited by German Texan botanist Ferdinand Lindheimer. The newspaper continues to publish under its current name, the Herald-Zeitung.
New Braunfels has a sizeable German Texan community. During the 19th century, its name was often spelled Neu-Braunfels, even by English-speakers. The town holds a German-style festival, Wurstfest  ("sausage festival"), every November to celebrate the city's German heritage. The newspaper Herald Zeitung was written in German until World War II.
New Braunfels draws a fair amount of tourists from across the state, particularly because of the cold-spring rivers that run through the city. Many generations of families still return during the summer to tube down the Guadalupe River and Comal River. New Braunfels is the site of one of the most famous water parks in the United States, Schlitterbahn WaterPark Resort. The Comal River is one of the shortest in the world just 3.2 miles (5.2 km) long, before emptying into the Guadalupe River. The headwaters of the Comal are located in present day Landa Park, where hundreds of artesian springs flow from the Edwards Aquifer. The upper reaches are surrounded by park and private residences, while the lower portions are open for recreation.
The Gruene (pronounced "green") historical district is located within the city limits of New Braunfels. Founded by the sons of settlers Ernst and Antoinette Gruene, it had a bank, post office, school, general store, lumberyard, gristmill and cotton gin. It also had access to two railways for shipping cotton bales, a real coup in those times. Its most famous attribute was the dance hall, a family activity in those days. Due to the failure of the cotton crop from Boll Weevils, and the failure of the banks after 1929, it became a ghost town. This village was purchased by developers in the mid-70's and was saved from demolition by Cheryle Fuller, who did all the research to list it on The National Register of Historic Places, wrote the protective covenants of the Deed Restrictions, and successfully defended them in court. It has remained largely intact with some small improvements, and has become a vacation destination with the white water Guadalupe river below it.
About This Website
This site is a template design by CarterLake.org with PHP conversion by Saratoga-Weather.org.
Special thanks go to Kevin Reed at TNET Weather for his work on the original Carterlake templates, and his design for the common website PHP management.
Special thanks to Mike Challis of Long Beach WA for his wind-rose generator, Theme Switcher and CSS styling help with these templates.
Special thanks go to Ken True of Saratoga-Weather.org for the AJAX conditions display, dashboard and integration of the TNET Weather common PHP site design for this site.
Template is originally based on Designs by Haran.